IPL 2023 Auction: BCCI Explains ‘Impact Player’ Rules To All Franchises
The Indian Premier League (IPL) 2023 auction will be held in Kochi on December 23 and all franchises have been informed about the new impact player rule by the BCCI.
Unlike the 2022 Mega Auction, fewer players will be present this time – 405 names have been shortlisted out of 991. Among them, 273 are Indians, while 132 are from other countries. All ten franchises will have a total of 87 slots, 30 of which will be filled by foreign players.
Before the auction, BCCI explained the concept of Impact Player, one of the main rules that will be introduced in IPL 2023, to all team owners.
“From the IPL 2023 season, a tactical/strategic concept will be introduced to add a new dimension to IPL where one substitute player per team can participate more actively in an IPL match,” BCCI said.
Each team can have an Impact Player, who must be a domestic player and not a foreign cricketer unless there are fewer than ‘4 Overseas Stars’ in the starting eleven.
BCCI’s rules about Impact Player
- The captain of the team can nominate the Impact Player.
- An impact player can only be an Indian player unless there are less than 4 foreign players in the playing XI.
- The Impact Player can be introduced before the start of the innings, or after an over has been completed.
- For a batsman, an impact player can be brought in on the fall of the wicket, or the batsman can stop at any time during the over.
- A Player who is replaced by an Impact Player (“Replaced Player”) can no longer participate in the remainder of the game, nor may he return as a substitute field player.
- The BCCI clarified that the Impact Player can play any role during the game, but cannot act as a captain.
- If an Impact Player is used by a team and an injury occurs, the same rules apply as they currently do under game conditions.
- If umpires are satisfied that a field player has been injured or taken ill during the match, a substitute field player may take the field in place of an injured player. The substitute may not bowl or act as captain.
- The BCCI has said that teams must identify the playing XI and 4 substitutes at the time of the toss. Of the 4 substitutes listed on the team sheet, only one player can be used as an Impact player.
- The bowling team can also get an Impact Player during the fall of the wicket, but that Impact Player must not bowl the remaining balls from the over if the wicket has fallen halfway.
- Both teams may use one Impact Player per game. However, it is not mandatory. It’s up to teams whether they want to use the Impact Player or not.
#IPL #Auction #BCCI #Explains #Impact #Player #Rules #Franchises