2022 World Cup Croatia squad and preview
Runners-up four years ago, Croatia (opens in new tab) reached the quarter-finals of the 2022 World Cup (opens in new tab) beating Japan on penalties after a 1-1 draw in the last 16.
The small Eastern European nation have routinely punched above their weight in major tournaments and they came into this World Cup confident they could go far again – having made it to the finals for the first time in 2018, when they were beaten to the trophy of France.
With veteran stars like captain and main man Luka Modric, Ivan Perisic, Marcelo Brozovic and Mateo Kovacic all still performing at international level, and younger talents like Josko Gvardiol and Lovro Majer now really establishing themselves, boss Zlatko Dalic had plenty of reason for optimism. heading to Qatar 2022.
And so far, so good for Croatia – playing in the last eight of the World Cup for the third time. Their victory over Japan followed a second-place finish in Group F – where they conceded just one goal as they drew 0-0 against fellow quarter-finalists Morocco and Belgium, comfortably beating Canada 4-1.
Nevertheless, there is a feeling that Dalic’s side is not yet in top gear – and they probably will have to if they want to pass an exciting Brazilian team and progress to the semi-finals (which they have in both previous matches done). when they have reached the knockout stage of the tournament).
2022 World Cup Croatia squad
Squad World Cup 2022 Croatia: the final squad of 26 players
- GK: Dominik Livakovic (Dinamo Zagreb)
- GK: Ivica Ivusic (Osijek)
- GK: Ivo Grbic (Atletico Madrid)
- DF: Domagoj Vida (AEK Athens)
- DF: Dejan Lovren (Zenit Saint Petersburg)
- DF: Borna Barisic (Rangers)
- DF: Josip Juranovic (Celtic)
- DF: Josko Gvardiol (RB Leipzig)
- DF: Borna Sosa (Stuttgart)
- DF: Josip Stanisic (Bayern Munich)
- DF: Martin Erlic (Sassuolo)
- DF: Josip Sutalo (Dinamo Zagreb)
- MF: Luka Modric (Real Madrid)
- MF: Mateo Kovacic (Chelsea)
- MF: Marcelo Brozovic (Inter Milan)
- MF: Mario Pasalaic (Atalanta)
- MF: Nikola Vlasic (Torino)
- MF: Lovro Majer (Rennes)
- MF: Kristijan Jakic (Eintracht Frankfurt)
- MF: Luka Sucic (Red Bull Salzburg)
- FW: Ivan Perisic (Tottenham)
- FW: Andrey Kramaric (Hoffenheim)
- FW: Bruno Petkovic (Dinamo Zagreb)
- FW: Mislav Orsic (Dinamo Zagreb)
- FW: Ante Budimir (Osasuna)
- FW: Marko Livaja (Hajduk Split)
Croatia top scorers
Croatia top scorers
These are Croatia’s 2022 World Cup top scorers so far…
2 goals: Andrew Kramaric
1. goal: Marko Livaja, Lovro Majer, Ivan Perisic
Croatia yellow cards
Croatia yellow cards
All yellow cards from the 2022 World Cup were erased after the last 16, so Croatia currently has no players suspended.
Here are Croatia’s World Cup 2022 results so far…
D 0-0 vs Morocco
W 4-1 against Canada
D 0-0 vs Belgium
D 1-1 vs Japan (won 3-1 with pins)
Who is the national coach of Croatia for the 2022 World Cup?
Zlatko Dalic experienced success and hero worship in 2018, then humiliating losses and widespread criticism, only to emerge as the man who reunited the team after signs of complacency rearing its ugly head in Euro 2020’s last-16 defeat to Spain. Whisper it, but lately he may even have opted for a tactical approach that best suits the squad.
Croatia’s star player
Who is Croatia’s best player?
Luka Modric has seen generations pass through Croatia’s squad since his debut in 2006 – eight major tournaments and over 150 appearances later, he has remained the one constant. This is still pretty much his team, as even the quickest glance reveals. A vintage maestro at age 37, the captain still rules the roost.
How many players did Croatia bring to the 2022 World Cup?
National managers were allowed to bring 26 players to last summer’s European Championship at a major tournament for the first time as a special measure due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
It was then announced that teams of 26 players would return for the Qatar World Cup, an expansion of the usual 23-man squads.
#World #Cup #Croatia #squad #preview